Oat Bread

"Randy Clemens" <dontactlikejunome@juno.com>
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:37:13 -0700
v103.n046.7
Don't have any formulas which use oat flour, but I do have a nice English
Oat Bread recipe care of Bernard Clayton's Complete Book of Breads. There
are a few oat formulas in there, but this is the only one I tried, and it
was quite good. I've changed it a little bit for the better (in my
opinion). Forgive the volume measurement, but that is what is given in the
book. Let me know how it turns out!!

English Oat Bread
Yield: Two loaves

2 c      oatmeal
1 1/2 c  milk

1 pkg    active dry yeast
1/4 c    warm water
1/2 c    whole wheat flour

1/2 c    whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c  AP flour, approximately (*see my note)
2 T      butter, softened
1 T      salt

Soaker:
Combine oatmeal and milk in a large bowl, and allow to sit for two hours.

Sponge:
Activate your yeast in the warm water, and combine with 1/2 c whole wheat
flour. Allow this to sit at room temperature until your soaker is complete.

Final Dough:
Combine the soaker, sponge, and the remaining whole wheat flour in a mixing
bowl. Add white flour (*see my note), reserving some to incorporate later
if needed. Mix at low speed for 5 minutes. Add butter and salt, and mix for
another minute. Turn the mixer to medium speed and mix for 4-5 minutes.

Grease a bowl either with butter or with non-stick spray, and add dough.
Cover and allow dough to double. Divide or scale into equal pieces. Shape
and place in loaf pans. Allow dough to proof and double in the pans. Brush
with butter, and slash down the center. (Optional rolled oat garnish)

Bake at 400 F for 30 minutes, with a shot of steam at the beginning. Rotate
loaves and finish at 350 F for another 20-30 minutes. Cool. Enjoy. Makes
yummy toast.

* The AP flour doesn't hold up enough for my standards. If you have a
higher gluten flour, definitely use it. Because of the density of the whole
wheat (plus the particulate of the bran), as well as the weight of the
oats, oven spring is affected. The dough won't be overly tough from the use
of a high gluten flour. The milk and butter will counter it and keep the
crumb tender.