Corina's Health Bread

Corina Gaffney <corinaesq@sbcglobal.net>
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 19:22:17 -0700 (PDT)
v103.n046.8
I've been lurking on the list for a while, thinking that surely someone
else would be asking about recipes for high protein and relatively low
carbohydrate bread, as the Atkins and South Beach diets are so popular
now.  I have developed a pretty good recipe for a German-type peasant
sourdough whole grain bread, but my assumptions about serving size still
give me a bread with 14 grams of carbohydrate and 2 grams of fiber per
slice (I assume 24 slices out of a loaf made from 3 3/4 cups of flours or
grains).  I'd like to increase the grams of fiber per slice, but not have a
doorstop of a loaf of bread.  Any suggestions?

* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Corina's Own Healthy Bread

Recipe By     :
Categories    :

    1 1/2           cups  water -- warm
    1         tablespoon  oil -- (I prefer olive oil)
    1         tablespoon  lemon juice
    1         tablespoon  apple cider vinegar
    1         tablespoon  molasses
    1         tablespoon  cocoa powder
    1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
    1                cup  bread flour
    1                cup  whole wheat flour
    1                cup  rye flour
       1/2           cup  wheat bran -- unprocessed
       1/4           cup  flax seed -- ground
    2        tablespoons  gluten, wheat
    4          teaspoons  yeast

Place all ingredients in bread machine in order listed.  You may need a
little more or less water, or more flour.  Be sure to check the dough
frequently while it is being mixed in the machine.  You should get a rather
smooth, nicely rounded ball of dough, somewhat sticky, but not too
sticky.  If you have a sourdough powder (I get mine from Mami when she goes
to Germany), add a half of a package to the mix.  Again, you may adjust the
water or flour to get the right dough consistency.  Press the "Dough" cycle
button.

After the dough has risen (don't worry if you can't get to it right away -
I've let my dough rise for a half hour after the cycle is done!), flour
your hands and your work area rather liberally, and take the dough out of
the machine.  YOU DO NOT NEED TO PREHEAT YOUR OVEN.  Lightly knead the
dough for about 5 minutes, then roll it out into a 12"x 18"
rectangle.  Roll up the dough jelly roll-style (nice and tight!), pinch the
seam together, and pinch the ends and fold them under just a bit.  Smooth
out the log, making sure not to flatten the log.  Place the dough log on a
baking sheet or baking stone (which I prefer) that you have strewn
liberally with corn meal, to avoid sticking.  Otherwise, lightly spray with
cooking spray.  Cut three rather deep diagonal slashes into the top of the
log, then place it on the middle rack of your oven.  On the bottom rack of
your oven (or on the floor, if you have a gas oven), set a shallow baking
pan filled with boiling water.  Turn your oven to 400 F, and your timer for
40 minutes.  You may need to adjust the time by up to 15 minutes or more,
depending on how long it takes your oven to heat up to 400 degrees.  Bread
is done when it has a nicely browned crust, and it sounds hollow when you
tap the bottom.  You may want to spray or brush the loaf with water, or
salted water, a few times during the baking process, or you can lightly
dust the dough with flour before you may the slashes.  Tastes wonderful;
even my kids like it!

Yield:
    "1 loaf"

Per serving: 78 Calories (kcal); 2g Total Fat; (17% calories from fat); 4g
Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 137mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2
Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates