Re: Obscure

"Barrie J. Lax" <barlax@synapse.net>
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:34:37 -0500
v103.n051.13
John Chamberlain" <john@mockturtlesoup.com> wrote on Tue, 18 Nov 2003 ..

>I'm looking for a recipe for a roll I used to have with just about every
>meal while studying in Rome. It's a hollow roll...the ones we had tended
>to have a pretty stout crust. At the time, it never occurred to any of us
>to ask for a working recipe...and, frankly, we never learned the proper
>name---we called them "moonrocks".

Had to laugh ...  Hollow rolls .. only in Italy !!
When I lived in Milan a long time ago, the bread I bought locally was
hollow as well, in fact it was sold by the pound under Italian law, since
people objected to paying by the loaf for something that had less and less
substance. How did they do it ??  I have often wondered, all to say if you
discover a way to do it, please let me know.

I have never seen this available in any other country but admit I haven't
visited them all. I did come across an eatery in Nova Scotia that served
fried fish, hollow as well. The pieces resembled ordinary deep fried fish,
tasted pretty good probably from the flavored oil, but contained very
little actual fish. If I had that secret I would have franchised a chain
and made a fortune! Unhappily the owner wouldn't part with it and in fact
took umbrage at my asking.

There is a kernel of an idea here, if one could master 'hollowness', think
of all the places this could be applied! In our world where little is what
it really is, where things are seldom what they seem, the possibilities are
endless!!

Bar.

P.S. And John, why 'Mock Turtlesoup', why not real??  You seem well on your
way ....