re: Looking for Bread Recipes to Jibe w/ Anti-Migraine Diet.

Lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net>
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:32:31 -0700
v104.n007.3
 > From: "Mary" <snyderme@comcast.net>
snip
 > I am now hoping to find a couple of serviceable yeast bread recipes that
 > have a shorter rise time.  So far, I have not found a shorter-rise recipe
snip
 > any of you have a good recipe to share for shorter-rise bread?  Any tips
 > on improving flavor without extending the ferment time?

This has always been a great recipe.  Since I discovered I could grind
grains in the coffee grinder for bread, I haven't made it much.  It's a
really good basic white bread, but to add flavor you can add a cup or 2 of
whole wheat flour, or maybe wheat germ, oat bran, rye flakes, etc. without
affecting its quick rising ability.  My sister and I always won the purple
ribbons in 4-H when we made this (back in the 60s).

4-H CHAMPION BREAD
Makes 4 loaves

Mix together and let sit 5-10 minutes:
2 pkg yeast
1/2 cup warm water

When yeast has puffed, add:
4 cups warm water
4 1/2 T. melted shortening
3/4 cup dry milk (optional)
1/4 cup + 2 T. sugar
2 T. salt
5 cups flour*

Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
Add flour to make soft, non-sticky, dough (about 7 c.)
Knead dough, adding enough flour so it's not sticky.  The more flour you
knead in, the denser the bread will be.  Let dough rise until double in
size.  Punch down and turn onto board.  Divide into four parts.  Shape into
loaves and place in bread pans.  Let rise until double in size.  Bake at
350 F for 40 minutes.

*At this point, you may add oat bran, wheat germ, oat flour, whole wheat
flour, rice flour or any other desired ingredient.  Measurement isn't
critical, although various flours and brans will change the texture of the
bread accordingly.