Re: Anise Bread

"S&R Ash" <db1753@dragonbbs.com>
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:45:48 -0500
v104.n012.10
Thanks for posting an Anise recipe. If you haven't tried a bread with this
spice you should give it a try. We lived in Texas many years and have made
a Recipe for Anise Bread like they serve in Old Market in San Antonio it is
yummy. Haven't made it in a long time. They also have a pumpkin bread that
is good. I will post the Anise recipe for it is a little different than the
one Reggie posted and will give a milder flavor if you are a bit timid on
using this spice. I grew up with it in Peppernuts and German foods so was
already use to it before moving to Texas.

Anise Bread San Antonio Old Market Style

2 Eggs beaten
3 Cups flour
1/2 Cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp finely crushed Anise
1 1/2 Cup Water
1 Cup scalded Milk cooled
1 Pkg yeast
4 Tbsp Butter or Crisco
2 to 3 more Cups Flour

Soften the yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. In a large glass bowl add remaining
water and milk. Stir well.

Add beaten eggs, shortening, sugar and salt and anise spice. Mix well. Beat
in the 3 cups of flour.

Beat smooth with mixer. Cover and Let the batter rise to double volume.
Punch down and stir in enough flour until it forms a dough ball. Turn out
on floured surface knead well adding flour until smooth. Let stand 30
minutes on the counter covered with a cloth. Knead again and shape into
round buns about 5 inches in diameter, flat on top. Place on greased baking
sheets. Let rise until doubled in size. Bake at 350 degrees until a light
golden brown top. This bread can be glazed if desired.

Raisins &  pecans can be added to the dough before baking or add to glaze.

Sue Ellen