Pita Bread

Gloria J Martin <ggmartin2@juno.com>
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 23:41:34 -0500
v104.n030.3
I took the following recipe down while listening to a Julia Child show
years ago. It has always worked well for me. I do use the food processor to
make mine.

PITA POCKET BREAD

1/2 cup warm water
2 teaspoons sugar
1 package dry yeast
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon oil
1 cup minus 1 Tablespoon cold water

Processor directions:

Stir together the sugar, yeast and warm water until dissolved. Put metal
blade into workbowl of food processor. Add first 4 ingredients. Pulse to
sift and combine. Turn food processor on and pour the yeast mixture in
through the small feed tube, then pour in the cold water slowly. Dough
should be rather soft. Knead by running machine 30 seconds after dough
comes together. Transfer dough to a bag or oiled bowl and let rise twice,
punching down between.

Hand or mixer directions:

Combine warm water, sugar and yeast in large bowl. Stir till dissolved. Add
remaining water?use warm water (105 ­ 115 F) if making by hand or mixer.
Add half the flour and the cornstarch and the oil. Beat well for 2 minutes.
Add remaining flour and combine until all flour disappears. Empty out onto
floured counter and knead 8 minutes (by hand) or run mixer at low speed
with dough hook for 8 minutes to knead. Transfer dough to bag or oiled bowl
and let rise twice, punching down between.

To finish (both methods):

Preheat oven to 550 F. Put a pizza or bread stone in oven to heat. Shape
dough into long roll and cut into 12 pieces. Cover those you are not
working with. Form each piece into a ball by pinching sides together. Pinch
a topknot (like a candy kiss) at the top of each ball. Cover these as you
shape them. Work with one ball at a time. Roll out into a 6-7" flat pancake
shape, with topknot facing up, rolling in one direction only, i.e., not
back and forth. Cover each as you finish rolling.

Transfer 2-3 pitas to hot stone in oven. Bake 3-5 minutes, until just
beginning to brown. These should have puffed. Remove to rack and bake more
until finished. Package when cooled.