Re: Levy's Real Jewish Rye Bread

RosesCakeBible@aol.com
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:08:59 EDT
v104.n038.5
>From: Susan Hunt <susanhunt@gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Levy's Real Jewish Rye Bread
>Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 00:41:30 +1000
>
>I can thoroughly recommend Rose's Jewish Rye Bread from her Bread Bible. I
>have made this bread many, many times since purchasing the book last year.
>I live in Australia, where the brands of flour and much of the equipment
>that Rose specifies are not available, but have achieved wonderful results
>with this bread (and the numerous others) I have baked from this book. The
>error on  page 326 was not a problem as I was able to figure it out. The
>best advice I can offer to anyone using this or any of Rose's books is to
>buy and use a set of digital scales. You will not go wrong following the
>metric measures and once you get used to it you will be delighted with how
>much easier it is than messing around with cups. Rose, thank you for your
>wonderful books--they have given me, my family and friends much pleasure.

thank you for your much appreciated support of my recipes and in my pet
cause of weighing rather than measuring! i'm writing to you from my
vacation home in the mountains where i made a multigrain sourdough to go
with the season's glorious tomatoes and enjoyed it for lunch sprinkled only
with salt and fruity olive oil. we had lost power due to a big storm and i
was contemplating "baking" the bread in my grill using indirect heat but
happily the power came back in time to preheat and use the conventional
oven! next i made beets and couldn't bear to throw away that intense
burgundy-colored liquid so i'm using it to start another bread i call "red
bread." my husband expressed surprise that i was still baking bread so
often though i finished the book. he noticed that i didn't bake cakes or
pastry all that often after finishing those books. i explained that dessert
baking is a special occasion sometimes sort of thing, compared to bread
that is a daily delight!

it is so thrilling to know that bread baking can form a network of
communication and friendship all over the world. thank you reggie and jeff
for this precious "list"!

rose