Sprouty bread

Gonzo White <g2w2@prodigy.net.mx>
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 06:57:17 -0500
v104.n046.12
I have had this recipe for a sprouted wheat bread for years. But it was
just to much work to buy the wheat, set up trays and sprout it.  Then  I
saw this recipe from Fleishman's for a toasted oat bread.  And, I thought
that sounds nice.. So I played around and made up this recipe.  It really
came out well.. Its very healthy, yet its light and tasty and different.

I substituted Regular Soy sprouts that you can buy at any grocery store...
I have to admit the dates just disappeared and I think next time I will
leave them out and add one more Tablespoon of Brown Sugar.. Or maybe honey.

Sprouty Bread

1 cup of soy bean sprouts (or wheat)
2 cups of white flour
1 cup of whole wheat
1 tea salt
1/3 cup of Toasted Oats.*
5 Dates, chopped up **
2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
1 1/2 tea of yeast
1/2 cup milk  (Warm a bit)
1/2 cup of water
1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil (or butter)

Dump everything in, in the normal order for you machine using the white
bread cycle.

Note.. The bean sprouts contain quite a bit of water That is released as
they are mashed up in the kneading.  So check the consistency of the dough
after a few minutes and make sure its not to soft and sticky.. If it is add
a bit more flour.

* to Toast put on a sheet or pan and bake at 350 F for 10 to 15 minutes

**If you don't have an open package of dates just add one more Tablespoon
of Sugar.