Cinnamon Swirl Bread

ATroi37324@aol.com
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:16:31 EDT
v104.n048.4
Katie:

Below is my favorite recipe for Cinnamon Swirl Bread.  I never use raisins
but I do use nuts.  I tried many different recipes and finally found this
one and tweaked it a little and it comes out perfect.  The filling in this
is just the right amount because I no longer get gaps.  I make this in my
breadmachine and make the double recipe.  Of course, because it calls for 5
cups flour, I help out the machine at the beginning by using a rubber
spatula along the edges to help it mix thoroughly.  Always check the dough
consistency after about 5-10 minutes and add extra warm liquid a tablespoon
at a time if too dry or extra flour a tablespoon at a time if too wet.  I
have a bread pan that comes in 2 pieces and extends from 9 inches to about
17 inches.  The double recipe fits perfectly when I extend it out to the
17".  I make this every week and a half to 2 weeks as my family loves
it.  I also make a glaze consisting of about 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tbsp
sour cream or whipping cream and 1/4 tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp almond
extract.  This glaze make the cinnamon swirl toast taste like cinnamon rolls.

Cinnamon Swirl Bread

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups bread flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast

Cinnamon Filling:
1/4  cup sugar
1 Tbsp + 2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp butter, softened
nuts if desired

Double Recipe:
1 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs
3 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp salt
5 cups bread flour (had to add 2 extra Tbsp flour)
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast

Cinnamon Filling:
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp + 1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp butter, softened
nuts, if desired

Add bread ingredients to bread machine and process on Dough cycle.  (If you
double the recipe help the machine out when it starts mixing the
ingredients as this is a lot of flour.  Take a rubber spatula and run it
along the edges of the pan mixing the ingredients until the dough is coming
together).

While dough is mixing, prepare cinnamon filling.  Combine sugar and
cinnamon in small bowl.  Set butter out to soften.

When cycle is complete, remove dough from machine onto lightly buttered
work surface and roll into a ball.  Let it rest for 10 minutes.  (I like to
put my dough in a plastic dough rising bucket I got from King Arthur.  It
rises beautifully in there and doesn't dry out at all like it does if I
just cover it and let it rest).

Divide dough in half (if making double recipe divide into 4 pieces).  I
like to weigh the dough so that I have equal sized pieces.  Take each piece
and roll out into a rectangle on a buttered board.  (I prefer to use a
buttered board instead of adding extra flour.  This keeps the dough from
sticking and keeps your bread more moist and the 10 minute rest usually
takes away any stickiness it might of had when first pulled out of the
pan).  Spread 1 1/2 tsp of softened butter on each rectangle; sprinkle 1/2
of the cinnamon filling on each rectangle of the single recipe or 1/4 of
the cinnamon filling on each rectangle of the double recipe (easier if this
mixture is put in a jar with holes to sprinkle evenly).  Beginning from
long end of dough, roll up tightly, pulling back as your roll, as for a
jelly roll and pinch the seam well.

Take 2 ropes and place them side by side and starting at the middle twist
the 2 together to one end and pinch the two ends together and tuck
under.  Then twist to the other end and pinch the 2 ends together and tuck
under.  If doubling the recipe do the same with the other 2 ropes.  Place,
seam side down in greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan or into 2 pans if doubling
the recipe.  Cover and let rise in warm draft free place about 1 hour or
till doubled in size. Brush with some egg wash and sprinkle with some sugar.

Bake in preheated 375F 25 to 30 minutes for single recipe or about 40
minutes for double or until the thermometer registers 190F.  You do have to
cover the top of the loaf with foil after about 20 minutes to prevent
overbrowning.  If desired, brush top of loaf with additional butter while hot.

This makes a delicious and beautiful swirled loaf with no gaps and also
tastes great with the following glaze:

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp sour cream or whipping cream
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract.

Mix with a wire whisk and drizzle on slices.

Rosemary