Re: diastatic malt and pumpernickel

RosesCakeBible@aol.com
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:29:22 EST
v104.n053.5
Re the diastatic malt added to my pumpernickel bread recipe (in a previous
posting to the list) : I realized why the huge amount of 2 tablespoons that
had been added in error didn't turn the loaf into a gooey mess! It take
about 8 hours of fermentation for the diastatic malt to have its full
effect. Since the diastatic malt was in the "flour blanket," it didn't get
mixed into the dough until later so it didn't get activated until just a
few hours before baking time. If, however, one holds the finished dough
overnight, it would be far too much diastatic malt!

rose (sherlock!) beranbaum