Bagel help

"Rachael Lohr" <RachaelLohr@msn.com>
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 23:06:26 -0600
v105.n003.7
The Markhams asked for some help with bagels.  I am known for my bagel
making, and while I am I die-hard Reinhart fan (helped test recipes for
American Pie - a very worthwhile addition to your collection!), I sometimes
had the same "soggy" experience with his bagels.  While not draining them
well after the boil (do blot them on a pan lined with a kitchen towel)
would do that, I'm pretty convinced it had something to do with the
overnight in the fridge.  I don't know why.  I have another recipe that I
use that doesn't do the overnight, taste really great, and have never had
the problem with soggy spots.  This is really flexible (see variations at
the end!) and can be made in just a couple hours start to finish!

Golden Egg Bagels (adapted from Baker Boulanger)

1 1/4 c. water
4 tsp. yeast
2 beaten eggs
1 tbsp oil
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
4 1/2 to 5 1/2 cups bread flour

Whisk together water, yeast, eggs, oil, sugar and 1 cup of flour.  Stir in
salt and most of remaining flour.  Knead 8-10 minutes by hand - 4 minutes
by stand mixer until dough is stiff and smooth.  Be generous with the flour
- you want this to be a stiff dough.

Cover and let rest for about 15 minutes.

Line a baking sheet with a kitchen towel and another with
parchment.  Preheat over to 425 F.

Deflate dough if it has risen.  Divide into 12 pieces.  Form "roll" round
balls (like dinner rolls shape).  Let rest while you shape the rest of the
dough.  Working back from the first shaped ball, poke a hole in the middle
and "twirl" on your finger to coax into the bagel shape.  Let rise for
about 15-20 minutes (should be slightly puffy).

Boil a full pan of water in a large Dutch oven.  Add 1/2 tsp kosher salt
and 1 tbsp sugar (or diastatic malt power if you have it).  Boil bagels for
a couple of minutes turning over once.  Let dry on towel-lined pan and
transfer to parchment lined pan.  Top with beaten egg whites and sesame
seeds/poppy seeds/dried onion/what ever!  Bake 15-20 minutes turning once
when close to done (last 5 minutes).

Variations (mix into dough in first "whisking" step except raisins/craisins
- add those with last flour):

Cinnamon Raisin:  Add 1 tsp cinnamon, extra 1 1/2 tbsp sugar and 3/4  c.
raisins
Orange Cranberry:  Add 3/4 c. orange marmalade, 3/4 c. "craisins" (dried
cranberries) and 2 tbsp extra flour
Chocolate Chip:  Add 3/4 c. mini chocolate chips
Lower fat:  Use 2 egg whites instead of two whole eggs

Use your imagination - this dough will accept about any kind of
variation!  Let me know if it works for you!