Re: Digest bread-bakers.v105.n016 - The Great Steam Debate

"Fallingleaf" <fallingleaf29@comcast.net>
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 18:23:27 -0400
v105.n017.3
..

I have an electric Whirlpool under-the-counter oven with an exposed heating
element, steam vents in the door, a glass window in the door, and a
light-bulb in the back corner of the oven.

My baking stone is on the top shelf, and a cast-iron skillet filled with
rocks is placed on the bottom shelf before I preheat my oven to 500 F.
Right before I'm ready to put my bread into the oven, I make sure my
teakettle is filled with about 1 - 2 cups boiling water.  Right after I
slide my loaves into the oven I slightly pull the bottom shelf forward
(about 2 inches) and then pour the boiling water directly onto the stones
in the skillet.  I then close the oven door & lower the temp. to 425 F.
When I next open the oven door in 15 minutes to shuffle my breads around
(the right side of the oven is hotter than the left) the water has all
evaporated.

Rainy