store-bought milk, pasta rollers

RosesCakeBible@aol.com
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 23:53:35 EDT
v105.n038.10
Bev wrote:
>....Store-bought milk, already having been cooked to death in the
>pasteurization process, has lost those enzymes.

most store-bought milk is pasteurized but not ultra-pasteurized so
for best results, i.e. highest volume of the crumb it's best to use
dry milk or scald the milk.  you could do a side-by-side test to
convince yourself but cook's illustrated did this a few years ago and
photographed these results. they recommended scalding and removing
the skin that forms on the surface.

re pasta rollers, i was devoted to my atlas hand crank machine but
since kitchen aid came out with the pasta roller attachment i have
retired the hand crank machine.

best,
rose