english muffins

frances feeter <momfeet@wave.hicv.net>
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:50:52 -0700
v105.n039.2
I love English Muffins, but am now trying to eat (mostly) whole
grains to keep to my 117 pounds!   This is from Sunset magazine, but
I've changed the ratio of whole wheat flour to all-purpose flour.

Whole Grain English Muffins

2 pkg. active dry yeast
3 1/3 c, warn water (about 110 F)
1/4 c. honey
3 t. salt  (recipe called for 4)
1 c. instant nonfat dry milk
1/2 c. wheat germ (plain or toasted)
1/2 c. cracked wheat, rolled oats, or mixed grain cereal
4 cups whole wheat or graham flour
1 to 1 1/2 c. regular all-purpose flour
About 1/4 c. yellow cornmeal

I usually add vital wheat gluten also - 1/4 to 1/2 c.
I also like sesame seed or sometimes sunflower seeds.

I put all the ingredients in my bread machine, set on dough cycle;
adjusting flour or liquid to make a fairly soft dough. At the end of
the cycle, turn out on a board lightly sprinkled with corn
meal.  Roll out to about 1/2 inch think. With 3" cookie cutter (I use
a tuna can with both ends removed) cut dough in rounds.  Place
muffins, cornmeal side up, about 1" apart on baking sheet lightly
sprinkled with cornmeal. Reroll scraps of dough and cut aditional
mufins.  Cover lightly and let rise in a wam place until puffy, but
not doubled; takes about 45 - 60 minutes.

Preheat an electric griddle or frying pan to 275 F (or place heavy
frying pans over low to medium-low heat).  Lightly grease surface and
bake muffins slowly until golden brown; it should take 12 to 15
minutes on each side.  (I usually heat a large heavy skillet, then
turn it to low-medium, and put a lid on the pan....and usually don't
bake them that long). Handle muffins carefully so they don't lose
puffiness before becoming set.  (Split one muffin to test for
doneness in center before removing rest from griddle).  Cool on wire racks.