need N.Y. rye advice

FREDERICKA COHEN <cohenfs@prodigy.net>
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 20:49:07 -0800 (PST)
v106.n001.2
I need advice or tips about  baking a sour rye  bread (or N.Y. rye bread ).

In my Ohio city, there is a franchise bakery of a national chain
famous for its great breads, including a N.Y. rye. They have a great
success with a variant of the "free" baked rye loaf which they call a
"pan rye."

This is basically the NY rye baked in a loaf pan. The flavor is the
same but the pan crumb is, I think, a bit lighter because it rises higher.

It makes awesome sandwiches and is in great demand at restaurants as
well as for home purchase.

I have been successfully making the rye "bullet" for some time but
the minute I put the dough into a loaf pan, it morphs into a wet clay
brick. It's a tasty brick but it's not a pan rye.

(How many rye croutons can I eat?)

I use a poolish (includes all the rye flour) which works for 2 - 8
hours. It's a 1 part rye,3 part bread flour mix.

I don't use a long working starter. At my age, I don't even buy green bananas.

Has anyone made such a bread ? Any additives? Any enhancers?

Many thanks, Fredericka