re: yeast substitute for sourdough

lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net>
Sat, 07 Jan 2006 10:38:20 -0700
v106.n001.4
Jonathan Kandell <jkandell@sysmatrix.net> wrote:
>If you try let us know how it turns out. I don't see much benefit to
>substituting yeast for sourdough as the main defect/benefit of
>sourdough is still present: the very long time necessary from mix to
>bake!  As for convenience, the skill to make and keep a natural
>starter itself is much exaggerated.

Thank you!  It is very much exaggerated ... the stuff is very hardy.

As for the long time from mix to bake, you can put formed loaves in
the frig and bake them later.  When I made my last batch, I put them
in the oven when I got up in the morning and by the time I showered,
dressed, read the newspaper and ate breakfast, they were done.  I
threw a dishtowel over them and left for the day.