re: need N.Y. rye advice

lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net>
Sun, 08 Jan 2006 11:10:06 -0700
v106.n002.5
Here are two recipes I helped develop and like.  I don't know if
they're what you want, but they're good!  I also have one made with
dill pickle juice.  Let me know if you want that.

BUDDY'S SOURDOUGH RYE 1 - 2 loaves
(People said this one had a stronger rye flavor)

The night before:
Expand 1 c. starter with:
1/2 c. rye flour
1/2 c. white flour
2/3 c. water

Next morning add:
1/4 c. water
1/2 T. salt
1 T. sugar
1 T. olive oil
1 T. caraway seeds
1 1/2 c. rye flour
1 c. white flour

Add more (or less) flour as necessary to get a soft dough. Knead
until satiny. Place in bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in
bulk. Shape into loaves, let rise until doubled in bulk. Bake 40
minutes at 350 F or until it sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom.

Alternate baking method for chewier, salty crust:
Bake 20 minutes at 350 F, paint with salt water, bake 25 minutes
more, painting at 10 minute intervals.

BUDDY'S SOURDOUGH RYE 2 - 2 loaves (I prefer #1)

2 c. expanded starter (meaning feed starter with
water and flour the night before)
1 c. water
2 c. rye flour
1 T. salt