High-altitude baking: "Pie in the Sky"

Roxanne Rieske <rokzane@comcast.net>
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 06:18:34 -0700
v106.n002.12
For the fellow high-altitude bakers out there: run out and get Susan
G. Purdy's book _Pie in the Sky_ (May 2005).

I'm in love with this cookbook. The recipes for High Altitude Pound
Cake and Mile-High Lemon Meringue Pie are worth the cost of the book
themselves (for those who don't know, meringues typically flop above
6,000-7,000 feet and typical poundcake recipes don't fare much better
because of the high amount of butter and sugar in them).

If you live around 10,000 feet, this book is a definite must. Each
recipe has been thoroughly tested, many, many times, at different
altitudes to ensure accurate and consistent results (the mountains of
North Carolina and Vermont--2500-3500 feet; Sante Fe, New
Mexico--7,000 feet; Denver, Colorado--5280 feet; Brekinridge,
Colorado--10,000+ feet; and many places in between). There are also
sea-level directions for each recipe--so even the regular baker can
use this book.

The book includes some 100 recipes for muffins, scones, biscuits,
quickbreads, cookies, cakes, pies, and yeast breads (the challah
bread is amazing)--Each tested many times over at each altitude level.

This is the first ever baker's book of this nature that I've seen. Other

"high-altitude" books barely come close to this book.

Can you tell I love this book? ;-)

Roxanne
rokzane@comcast.net