Re: Rosette

francinemorin@netscape.net
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:16:55 -0500
v106.n009.10
I always interested by sweet and breakfast bread so I did a search
about the rosette roll and found first this info at this web address:

  http://home.earthlink.net/~ggda/rosette.htm

<<Rosette & Michette

The Rosetta is a round roll which weighs from 50 to 90 grams. It is
made with 5 indentations at the top, emanating from the center, and
resembles a flower. This type of bread is quite ancient, and is
depicted in frescos found in the ruined city of Pompeii. As it is
known today, the Italian Rosetta is derived from the Austrian roll
referred to as the "Kaisersemmel".

The Italian version is generally prepared using 00 flour, water,
yeast and salt. In the Fruili-Venezia region of Italy, a region which
borders Austria, Rosette are similar to Austrian bread, and have a
soft, compact crumb. Like those in Austria, they are sprinkled with
poppy seeds. Recipes call for the preparation of a biga or "impasto
preparatorio". The biga is discussed in a number of bread recipes on this site.

Rosette produced in Milan are larger than the Rosette described
above, and are called Michette there. Even larger still are the
Rosette produced in Rome. The Roman Rosette are often called Bigne.
They are high with an empty interior. This characteristic interior is
produced with the aid of a special stamp or cutter, and a high oven
temperature. This high empty interior is difficulty to produce consistently.

Rosette and Michette are also produced in Tuscany and The Marche, and
are less light, crisp and airy than those produced in Rome.

Then I found a recipe in Joe Ortiz book _The Village Baker_:
"Schiacciata and Michette Tuscan Flat Bread and Piedmontese Rolls",
page 247 (if you would like to have the recipe I can send it to you
in PDF). There is a drawing in the book showing the Bun Press they
use to make the pattern.

I also found a professional recipe in Italian at this web site:

  http://www.ppservice.it/ricette/ricetta_rivola.htm

which I will translate (I am learning Italian), if you like I can
send you the translation.

Francine