Babka

Marcksmar@aol.com
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:29:13 EST
v106.n011.13
Origignal message:
>I'm looking for some recipes for traditional European Easter breads,
>does anyone have any family favorites they wouldn't mind sharing?

Prize winning babka

3/4 c milk
2 c flour
1 pk yeast
1 T warm water
2 T soft butter
1/3 c sugar
1/2 t salt
2 egg  yolks
1/2 t cardamon ground
raisins, chopped nuts, chopped candied  cherries optional

Scald milk. Carefully stir 1/2 c flour into hot milk. When smooth and
cool, add yeast softened in warm water with 1 t sugar. Set aside to
rise. Add salt to egg yolks and beat until thick. Add to sponge the
butter, sugar, beaten egg yolks, and cardamon. Beat with spoon
thoroughly. Slowly add remaining 1 1/2 c flour and knead with hand
until dough no longer sticks to the fingers. Let rise until double in
bulk. Punch down and let rise again, about one hour. 30 min in 350 F
oven. I had best luck with this kneaded in my Cuisinart food
processor and baked in a small bundt tin. Also it is good without
fruit and soaked in a rum sauce for honey babka.

1/4 cup candied fruit, mixed + 1/4 cup raisins opt
or add
1/2 cups currants
1/2 cups raisins
1/2 cups golden raisins