Re: Flour Tortillas

"S&R Ash" <db1753@dragonbbs.com>
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:48:38 -0500
v106.n031.8
YES! I make mine when I live away from a good tortilla district, such
as the past 17 years in Ohio. If you live near an area where you can
get them fresh from a local tortilla bakery I would not take the
time. I have a simple recipe that has never failed me. Learned to
make them in Texas. These are wonderful for Fajetas! Just make them a
little bigger about 3 oz dough.  I won't make corn tortillas - too much work.

Flour Tortillas

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 to 5 Tablespoons Crisco Shortening
8 to 10 Tablespoons warm water

Mix the flour salt and baking powder together. Cut in shortening as
you would for a pie dough. when fine like cornmeal add the warm
water, one Tablespoon at a time, until the dough pulls away from the
sides of the bowl and forms a ball. (I mix in a plastic tupperware
style bowl. Seems to work best.) Take the ball up into your hands and
knead between hands until finely worked together. Let dough rest on
counter fifteen minutes covered with cloth. Pinch off balls of 2
ounces each. I weigh them to be sure I have 2 oz. Roll flat between
the paper that comes in cereal boxes. It's stronger than waxed paper
and won't give way before you are done You can roll all of them if
you stack with paper between them, or roll each one as you fry them.
That works best for me.) You want a circle of about 6 to 8 inches.
depending on your desired results. Be careful handling to not tear them.

Bake one at a time, in a small teflon skillet, wiping a little oil on
the skillet each time. Bake over medium/low heat until slightly brown
spots appear turn and bake other side.

Place in a towel lined basket to keep until you are done frying all
of them. They heat up well in microwave.

You will need to practice to get the right heat. I use a gas stove
that is easy to adjust heat. If you don't bake them fast enough you
won't get the right appearance and a tough tortilla, too fast and
they will burn before done.

Also I tried different oils and shortenings. Oil makes them too
greasy. Try to use a good white solid shortening.

Hope you will give it a try.
Sue Ellen