Re: Re: Carl Griffiths 1847 Oregon Trail Starter

Richard L Walker <rlwalker2@cox.net>
Tue, 26 Dec 2006 12:22:59 -0600
v106.n048.10
Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com> wrote:
>I would avoid, at all costs, the Goldrush starter.

Probably good advice when using the Goldrush starter as a starter,
but I discovered that when used just as a yeast for a single batch of
bread (that was to ferment overnight) the flavor was very good. I
keep trying to get that San Francisco sourdough flavor way - way over
in Pensacola FL.  Other than the "one batch wonder", nothing seems to
come close.

My batch of Carl Griffiths did OK.  I'm wondering about whether it
might help to sanitize sourdough starter containers with a bit of
bleach solution (then wash and rinse) to get rid of anything that
might adversely affect their starters.