No Knead Bread

"E.B. Wilson" <ebi@cape.com>
Mon, 1 Jan 2007 12:18:54 -0500
v107.n002.1
I must say I am slightly bemused by the level of negative commentary
posted for the No Knead technique. I have been baking bread for about
fifteen years (including baking schools here and in France) always in
pursuit similar characteristics to the bread found in Paris where I
lived for seven years. The No Knead technique is without question the
closest I have ever come. I have used the No Knead formula about
fifteen times now (counting the two superb loaves I baked last
evening for a black tie sit down down dinner for 20) with active
experimenting on the margins to arrive at my own final formula. My
protocols now are: (1) water, I have settled at 340 grams; (2) salt,
just under a table spoon is best for my taste; (3) bake time, I use
the full hour but during the last fifteen minutes with the cover off
I place a disk of foil over the loaf to prevent a slight tendency to
burn the high edges; (4) yeast, I use SAF from KA; (5) flour, I use
French Bread Flour from KA; and (6) container, I find a smallish
Creuset to be best so that the finished has a high rise. So you can
see that I have not wandered far from the basic recipe and I urge
others to do the same. The result is a thin, crunchy crust, great
color, just the right moisture and wonderful taste and texture.
Future quest: how to turn this formula into baguettes and rolls?

-EB Wilson.