no-knead scone

Haack Carolyn <haacknjack@sbcglobal.net>
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 04:52:06 -0800 (PST)
v107.n005.4
Maybe one of the excellent food scientists in our extended family
here can help me understand THIS result ... similar to one reported
in last week's postings.  I made the no-knead bread again last
weekend but realized I had some 00 flour (the kind often used for
Italian bread & pizza crust).  Said to myself ... OHO!  I'll use this
flour and get even better 'artisan' qualities!

Followed the recipe (with the exception of the flour substitution)
and after about 16 hours, had a slightly risen, marshmallow-y
concoction ... I could pull off pieces of it, but it had no stretchy
structure whatsoever.  It reminded me a bit of a biga I make for
ciabatta sometimes.

However, guests were coming and the stuff had to be baked.  I gave it
a little shaping and let it rise (actually, it seemed mostly to sit
there projecting a bit of an attitude!).  Flipped it into the
preheated casserole, baked ... it came out of the pan with no
difficulty, looking for all the world like a giant scone!  Very dense
crumb, I don't know that I would have identified it as a yeasted
product if I hadn't made it myself.

Now, as almost all things fresh-from-the-oven have some charm, my
guests and I wedged it up and it was quite enjoyable with the
well-flavored stew that was the main dish.  But it was hardly "bread"
by any definition.  I'll appreciate any insights as to how I achieved
this effect!