Another Yeasty Issue

David A Barrett <Dave.Barrett@lawpro.ca>
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:55:00 -0500
v107.n005.7
While we're talking about yeast stuff, I had an additional question.

For the past few years, just about all of the breads I've made have
been made with long, slow rises to allow the flavour to develop
fully.  I simply don't make loaves that go from bag of flour to oven
in two or three hours any more.  All of which is mostly irrelevant,
except to point out that I can't remember if I've had the same issue
with the quicker rising loaves I might have made years ago.

I have noticed from time to time that some of doughs have developed
an ammonia like smell after rising.  This smell usually persists
after baking and can be somewhat off-putting.  Does anyone have any
ideas why this might be occuring?

Dave Barrett