re: no-knead pan size?

lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net>
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 18:52:25 -0700
v107.n005.12
lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net> wrote:
>Somewhere in the postings, I saw the pan size given as 6-8 quarts.
>This seems huge. Lahey's pan didn't look that
snip
>Also, I thought Lahey's bread looked burned.

I baked the bread before this was answered.  Here's my changes to the
recipe.  It came out great.  The crust was a golden brown and the
inside somewhat moist.  We had it for dinner and I froze the leftover
immediately.  Several days later, I served the leftover and it was just fine.

No-Knead Bread
Jim Lahey, Sullivan St Bakery, Hell's Kitchen, NYC

Mix together:
3 c. flour
0.25 t. instant yeast
1.25 t. salt

Add: 1.5 c. water (I added 2 c. With 1.5 c. water, it seemed much
more solid than on the video.)

Mix. Cover and let rise 12 hours or more.  (I mixed it in the morning
before I went to work and baked it as soon as I came home.)

Preheat oven to 450 F (my change). Pre-heat 2-qt pan with a cover
which can go into the oven.  (I used my big cast-iron frying
pan.  The bread fit fine.)

Dump out onto floured board. Fold over on itself 4 times (side to
side, then end to end). Cover with wheat bran or flour. Plop into
pre-heated pan (no need to grease if it is really hot). Cover.

Bake at 450 F for 20 minutes, covered. Uncover and bake another 20
minutes. (original recipes called for 500-515 F, 30 min covered, then
15-20 min uncovered, but his crust was burned and I hate that).