No Knead Bread with an actual teenager

jweissmn@his.com
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:06:29 -0500
v107.n007.1
I haven't had all that much success at home with the no-knead bread,
mainly because it doesn't rise and puff well during baking, OR it
gets gummy.  Or the bran rubbing makes the crust wierd.

I'm visiting my sister in Omaha, where her daughter really wants to
learn to bake bread.  So we did the no-knead in their round 6-quart
corningware with vertical sides canted slightly outward.

Gold medal AP flour (what they had around), closer to 1 3/4 tsp salt
because the kid measured over the bowl, 1 1/3 cups water, 18 hour
rise, no bran.  450 F oven to start for 25 mins, then 15 more at 425
F with the lid off.  Sprayed the interior of the pot with no-brand
PAM equivalent before putting the dough in, just in case.

It rose and browned beautifully.  It tasted great, maybe a bit too
salty but it tasted more like sourdough to them.

I just hope their next effort (without Auntie the Baker) goes as well.

-  Jessica Weissman