Sourdough help

thecoach@paradise.net.nz
Sat, 13 Oct 2007 09:17:05 +1300 (NZDT)
v107.n029.1
I met an American girl online last year and we married on Valentines
day this year on the beach here in New Zealand.  We're living here
now but there is one tragedy in the whole story....NO sourdough bread
in NZ to speak of.  Alas, I have been exposed to SFO S/D and nothing
else is now good enough!!! :-

I got hold of a starter here but had extremely poor results.  I have
read that local climate had alot to do with it (which I can't
control), but can anyone tell me what other factors come into
it?  Also some hints on "growing" the starter - where to keep it,
temperature, etc would be appreciated.

I have mastered bagels and would put them up against any in the USA,
so I really don't want to be beaten by S/D!!!!!

Ian