Re: Olive Oil Sprayers

Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Sat, 13 Oct 2007 19:59:55 -0600
v107.n029.8
"Chris Nelder" <chris.nelder@idiotwind.net> asked:
>...I'm looking for some advice on where to get a GOOD olive oil
>mister/sprayer. I don't want to buy aerosol cans of oil.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

I used the Mister Mister for some time.  I had the problems you
mention, along with a high price tag.  I found a less expensive
mister (whose name I forget) at a local health food store.  It had a
plastic body and the same sprayer mechanism as the 3x more expensive
mister mister. Next, I found a similar unit from Pampered Chef.  And,
again, it had the same pump/sprayer mechanism that the mister mister had.

Mister mister has a high price tag because the canister has been
metalized - that is a chrome like metal has been applied to the cannister.

All the units have the same issues.

You can't fill them more than 1/3 full.  If you do, the units will
suck oil into the pump rather than drawing it up through the
hose.  Oil coming into the wrong part of the pump could damage the
pump.  I don't consider this a problem, really.  I used my sprayers
in a bakery and the capacity of the sprayers was not an
issue.  During busy times, I had to fill them twice a night.  NOT an issue.

However, olive oil (and other cooking oils) will plug the orifice and
the sprayer will soon spray a stream instead of a mist.  Cleaning the
units is easy.  Just finish off the oil (in home settings, don't fill
it too full to start with), run clear water through it, then water
with a drop or two of dish washing soap in it.  The clogs clear out
instantly. Then run clear water through the unit again and fill with
oil.  It takes less than a minute.

However, the units were all clunky, and all got worse as time went
on. Soon all they did was spray a stream instead of misting.

I never found a sprayer/pump that worked for me.  A number of
professional bakers I know use Wagner airless sprayers to apply egg
wash to pastries and such.  It's not a good thing, im(ns)ho.  It's a
paint sprayer, it's not certified to spray food products.  And, when
I had one to paint some large areas, I thought it was a pretty
wretched sprayer the hardware store clerk said the Wagner power
roller was a great product, and that Wagner made them carry the
sprayer, and that the return rate on the sprayer was in excess of 75%.

In the end, I went to buying aerosol cans of olive oil.  I have found
cans with organic olive oil in them at our local grocery store.  I
miss the ability to use THE oil I want, but the cans work for me.

Mike

Mike Avery      mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker         ICQ 16241692
networking guru         AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
wordsmith

Once seen on road signs all over the United States:
When frisky
With whiskey
Don't drive
'Cause it's