Re: Electrolux Assistent (Magic Mill)

Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Sat, 13 Oct 2007 20:17:30 -0600
v107.n029.9
yguaba@yahoo.com.br asked
>I have used it a couple of times, the second one to mix a batch of
>"high extraction flour miche" (from Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain
>Breads). At first I was undecided as to whether I should use the
>plastic roller attachment (which didn't look very strong) or the
>metal dough hook. The manual (the Swedes may be good at building
>powerful mixers, but they really need to work on their manual design
>skills) says either one can be used to mix yeasted doughs.

No argument about the manual.  However, could you post the recipe so
we have a better idea of what you are trying to mix?

>I first tried the dough hook, but soon gave up because no matter how
>high the speed, the dough stood in place while the bowl spun.

A common problem.  ALL mixers are based on friction, but it is more
obvious when using the DLX.  I like to use the hook for most
breads.  I fact, I've never used the roller at all.  However, it
works better for dough at lower speeds.  I usually use the lowest speed.

Depending on the size of the batch you are making, that is,
especially with larger batches, putting all the liquids in the bowl,
turning the mixer on, and then adding about half the flour right
away, getting the flour and water to move, and then adding the rest
of the flour a bit at a time helps.

Tricks to get the flour moving - move the dough hook from the edge to
the center of the bowl.  Repeat this a few times.  This disturbs the
blobs that can develop in the bowl.  Use a rubber spatula to get the
wet flour off the hook and into motion.  Once its moving, it will
tend to stay moving.

I use my DLX with its hook to mix very liquid starters (100%
hydration) and everything down to 52% hydration bagel dough.  I have
mixed 18 4 oz bagels at a time in the DLX.  I'm still getting my feel
for the mixer, which I bought a few months ago.  That size load would
destroy most home mixers.  The DLX never hesitated and it made
excellent bagel dough - which is a real test for a mixer.

>The scraper on the side didn't help the stuff move around, either.

The scraper helps get flour off the side walls of the bowl and helps
the mixer incorporate the flour faster - ONCE the flour is moving.  I
use a spatula as often as the scraper.  You don't need full time
scraping with most doughs.

With doughs, rather than the batter like starters, the dough movement
looks weird to people who are used to using a planetary mixer like a
KitchenAid or Viking, or spiral mixers, or any other mixer for that
matter.  Clumps of dough move around the bowl while other clumps seem
to be unmoved.  However, the mixing and dough development is
occurring, and is occurring well.  The bagel dough I made with the
DLX was probably the best developed bagel dough I have made in many,
many years of baking.

>For the Assistent, though, it seems to be too small; I imagine that
>if the amount of dough were doubled it would probably start moving
>around the bowl and actually mixing.

I rarely make small batches, however a friend who has a Magic Mill
(the older name for the Assistent or DLX) says he can mix as little
as a few hundred grams of dough in his mixer.  He uses the roller and
scraper.  I don't make small batches.  I like to make at least 3
loaves at a time. I really can't comment on the roller, since I don't use it.

>To make a long story short, it took me forever to mix the dough and
>I had to stand by the machine the whole time to get the dough moving
>in the bowl. And who said this one doesn't "walk" around the
>counter? Mine was trotting and jumping hurdles! I had to actually
>hold it down so it wouldn't just walk right off the edge of the counter.

Mine sits on the counter nicely.  No walking.  No jumping.  No
strange behavior.  Once the dough is in motion, I can ignore the
machine completely.

Since I haven't had the issues you mention, I really can't address
them.  However, I can make two suggestions that may or may not be
related.  Make sure the counter is clean and dry.  I can imagine that
the rubber feet could lose their grip if they, or the counter, had
water or flour on them.  Also, use the lowest speed, especially until
the dough is moving.  In general, the slower the dough development the better.

Good luck,
Mike

Mike Avery      mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker         ICQ 16241692
networking guru         AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
wordsmith

Once seen on road signs all over the United States:
The cannoneers
With hairy ears
On wiry whiskers
Used tin shears