Windowpane (kneading)

Jim Eberhardt <jim@jacysplace.com>
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 10:59:05 -0500
v108.n015.6
Hello,

I'm new to both the list and to breadbaking in general.  I hope my
questions won't be too basic for the list.

My question today has to do with the windowpane test to check for
gluten development.  In short, I can't seem to get my dough to
"pass", or even come close.  I've tried making the French bread dough
in "Breadbaker's Apprentice" and kneaded by hand for over 20 minutes,
and the dough still pulled apart readily.  If it helps to know, I
used 50% WR unbleached bread flour and 50% Gold Medal unbleached AP flour.

Any suggestions as to why the gluten won't develop properly? Is it
kneading technique or perhaps the dough was too moist?

Thanks for your help,
Jim
Wichita, KS