german pumpernickel

"Steve Gomes" <finnygomes@msn.com>
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 20:32:53 -0600
v108.n015.7
I tried this recipe and it is not bad but I want better. Got it from
the internet.

German Pumpernickel

2 packages active dry yeast
1/4 C. unsweetened cocoa
2 T. sugar
1 T. caraway seed
1 1/2 t. salt
3 C. rye flour
2 C. water
1/4 C. molasses
1/4 C. butter
3 C. sifted all-purpose flour
Shortening (or Pam spray)

In large bowl, stir together yeast, cocoa, sugar, caraway seed, salt
and 2 cups rye flour; set aside.

In 2 quart saucepan over low heat, heat water, molasses and butter
until very warm.

Using mixer at low speed, gradually beat molasses mixture into yeast
mixture until well blended. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes.
Add remaining

1 cup rye flour. Increase speed to high; beat 2 more minutes.

Stir in enough all-purpose flour to make a soft dough. Turn out dough
onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic about 5 minutes.

Place into greased large bowl, turning over dough so that top is
greased. Cover with towel and let rise in warm place until almost
doubled, about 45 minutes to an hour.

Punch down dough. Divide in half. Cover and let rest 5 minutes.

Shape each half into a round loaf. Place 4 inches apart on greased
large baking sheet.

Cover and let rise until almost doubled, 45 minutes to an hour.

Diagonally slash each loaf, crosswise, 3 times.

Bake in 375 F oven for 20 minutes. Cover loosely with foil; bake 15
minutes more or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.

Immediately remove from baking sheet. Brush tops of hot loaves with
shortening. Cool on racks.

Yield: Makes 2 loaves

Now I like the peter Reinhardt method of letting dough rise over
night so I did a few things differently. I don't like to add the salt
until the dough has been kneading for a while. This dough didn't
stick to the hook well and I did knead it by hand after a while.  The
rye flour is very grainy. It seemed to have risen fine over night but
and I used bread loaf pans instead of cookie sheets I had them
covered with plastic but knocked it off when I was wiping up around
the pans. So it didn't rise much. It tastes good though and I used 2
tsp of caraway seeds instead of 1. It is a very dense bread good
for  next to your plate of dinner. I wish it was lighter and not as
dry. Any better ideas for nice dark rye bread? and while I got your
ear has anyone come up with a way to have ten minutes of steam in the
oven? I don't want to spray the oven with a squirt bottle. I tried a
pie tin with a little water and that might work but we need to see if
anyone has a better idea.