re: hard rolls recipe

lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net>
Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:14:24 -0600
v108.n026.7
Chet wrote:
>I am looking for a recipe for hard rolls that I had in Rome this
>spring. These were a hollow hard roll with a very thick crust and
>mild flavor. Wondering if anyone knows of an authentic recipe? They
>were at most of the hotels.

I've had this recipe a long time and it is wonderful.  Not sure if
it's what you want, but is comparable to the hard rolls we got
everywhere in Mexico in 1974 and fits your description above.

HARD ROLLS
Fleischmann's New Treasury of Yeast Baking

4 1/2 - 5 1/2c. flour
2 T. Sugar
2 t. salt
1 pkg. dry yeast
3 T. margarine
l 1/2 c. hot water
1 egg white (at room temp)
corn meal
1/2 c. water
1 t. cornstarch

Mix 1 1/3 c. flour, sugar, salt and dry yeast. Add softened
margarine. Gradually add very hot tap water and beat 2 min. at
medium. Add egg white and 1 c. flour, or enough flour to make thick
batter. Beat at high 2 min. Stir in flour to make soft dough. Knead.
Let rise til double. Punch down and turn onto board. Cover and let
rest 10 minutes. Divide in half and form each half into 9-inch roll.
Cut into 1-inch pieces. Form into smooth balls and flatten and place
3 inches apart on greased baking sheets sprinkled with corn meal.
Cover and let rise til double. Blend remaining 1/2 c. water into
cornstarch. Bring to boil and cool slightly. When ready to bake,
brush each roll with cornstarch glaze. Slit tops with sharp knife
crisscross. If desired, sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake at
450 F about 15 min.

Lobo