re: burnt bread

lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net>
Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:21:15 -0600
v108.n026.8
<gonzow@nopalmx.com> wrote:
>For a few weeks I have been reading about how everyone should
>overcook their bread. The only time I use a thermometer is when I
>cook pumpernickel as its so dark its hard to tell when its done. But
>I cook mine to 185 F, others said bread should be cooked to 195-200 F.
>
>Then someone posted a message that said that all Americans under
>cook their bread. They said we should cook it for 10 minutes longer
>then we think it needs.

Ha!  I heard the same thing from a German woman.  I also have a
renowned bread book that says to bake everything at a terribly high
heat ... the bread in its photos all look burned.  Ick.

So don't believe it ... do what you like!  I've taken some of those
high heat recipes, baked them at my usual 350 F and quite liked
them.  I've baked bread for 50 years, won tons of blue and purple
ribbons on it at fairs and my dad said I baked it better than anyone
else ever.  So there.

I bake mine until it's the right color.  I did buy a thermometer and
have tried it a couple of times.  I've never been able to leave the
bread in the oven until it's 200 F. I finally quit using it.

Lobo