Re: Lavash crackers

Andy Nguyen <aqn@panix.com>
Mon, 16 Nov 2009 12:06:02 -0500 (EST)
v109.n042.7
IIRC (it's been a while since I made lavash), it's not very sticky
nor very difficult to handle.  The dough felt just a little bit
stickier than pasta dough.  A floured surface works fine.  I lay a
sheet of dough on a non-stick cookie, then use a pizza cutter to cut
(more like score) the dough into smaller pieces.  Bake for a little
bit, then slide the lavash off the cookie sheet onto the baking
stone/brick/tiles to finish.

Bake time varies, so keep an eye on the lavash as it bakes.  It
shouldn't take more than a minute or so at the usual range of
temperatures (350, 400, etc.).

If you have a pasta rolling machine, that would do a great job at
rolling the dough uniformly paper thin.

Also, I'd cut back on the yeast if you want a denser and therefore
crisper lavash.  The yeast makes the dough rises a bit and a paper-
thin dough becomes thicker and requires longer bake time to be
crispy; the longer bake time might burn the lavash before it can get
crispy all the way through.

Andy Nguyen