Asiago Cheese Bread

Tue, 5 Jan 2010 18:42:06 -0500
v110.n001.8
Another recipe from a friend.

Reggie

I actually make the dough for this in the machine, then shape it into
2 bagettes and bake it on either a double French bread pan or a
rectangular baking stone... This bread is great as is, or as bruschetta.

Asiago Cheese Bread

3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups bread flour (King Arthur)
1 envelope active dry yeast (SAF brand)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoon finely cracked mixed peppercorns (pink, green, black)
1 1/4 cups 2 % milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut up
1 1/4 cups finely grated Asiago cheese
1 large egg

In large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of the bread flour, yeast, salt and pepper.

In small saucepan, heat milk and butter over medium-high heat until
butter is melted and temperature is 120 to 130 F. (Or you can
microwave the milk and butter briefly.)

Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture until smooth. Stir in 1
cup of the cheese. Gradually stir in about 2 cups of the flour to
make soft dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead
until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding more flour as
needed to prevent sticking.

Oil large bowl, add dough and turn to coat. Cover with clean kitchen
towel. Let rise in warm place 1 hour or until doubled in volume.

Coat an 8-by-2-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Punch down
dough. Form dough into a 6-inch round. Place in prepared cake pan.
Cover with towel. Let rise in a warm place away from drafts, about 45
minutes or until doubled in volume.  Preheat oven to 425 F.

In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg. Brush top of dough with beaten
egg. Sprinkle top with the remaining 1/4 cup of the cheese.

Bake for 35 minutes or until the crust is golden and bread sounds
hollow when tapped with fingertips. Transfer the bread to a wire
rack. Let cool.

Notes: I made my dough in the bread machine, adding ingredients
according to the manufacturer's directions. After the dough cycle on
the ABM finished, I removed it from the machine pan, and formed two
long baguette loaves. I sprinkle cornmeal on the baking sheet, placed
the loaves on the sheet. I made three short, shallow diagonal slashes
on top of each loaf. After they were raised again, I brushed the
dough with the beaten egg and sprinkle with cheese. Baked at 425F.,
about 30 minutes. Made 2 long loaves.