Fresh Fruit Bread

Kathleen <kmschuller@comcast.net>
Mon, 01 Mar 2010 15:46:22 -0500
v110.n008.5
I'm going to post several bread recipes that are in my recent power
company magazine. I'm baking almost exclusively out of the Bread
Baker's Apprentice and ABin5 and HBin5, at this time, so it will be
awhile before I get around to testing these recipes.

I don't remember ever seeing a yeast recipe that is similar to the bread below.

kathleen

                              Fresh Fruit Bread

Recipe By     :Tammy Algood, for www.picktnproducts.org (Tennessee
Dept of Agriculture)
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads                          Fruits

    1                cup  warm water -- (110F)
       2/3           cup  orange juice
    1            package  active dried yeast -- 0.25-ounce
       1/4      teaspoon  honey
    6               cups  all-purpose flour -- divided
    1                cup  chopped cranberries
    1                     ripe banana -- mashed
    1                cup  grated -- peeled apple
    1                cup  chopped pecans -- or walnuts
    1         tablespoon  orange zest
    1         tablespoon  lemon zest
       1/2           cup  sugar
    1         tablespoon  salt -- PLUS
    1           teaspoon  salt
    3        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- melted
    2               cups  whole-wheat bread flour

In a large bowl, combine the water, juice, yeast and honey. Add 2
cups of the all-purpose flour and mix well. Cover and let rise in a
warm place away from drafts 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, grease and flour two loaf pans and set aside. In a
separate bowl, toss together the cranberries, banana, apple, pecans,
orange zest, lemon zest, sugar, salt and butter. Beat into the risen bread.

Add the whole-wheat flour and the remaining all-purpose flour one cup
at a time. Transfer to a well-floured surface and knead 15 minutes.
Grease a bowl generously. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to
evenly coat. Cover and let rise 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in bulk.

Punch the dough down and knead the dough 5 minutes longer. Divide the
dough in half and shape into two loaves. Place in the prepared loaf
pans and cover. Let rise in a warm place away from drafts.

When the loaves have nearly doubled in size, preheat the oven to 350
F. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped. Cool
at least 30 minutes on a wire rack before slicing and serving.

Yield: 2 loaves

Source: "The Tennessee Magazine, February 2010, page 27"
Copyright: "2010, Tennessee Electric Cooperative Association, ISSN 0492-746x"
Yield: "2 loaves"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 4359 Calories; 123g Fat (25.3%
calories from fat); 89g Protein; 729g Carbohydrate; 35g Dietary
Fiber; 93mg Cholesterol; 8559mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 39 Grain(Starch);
1/2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Fruit; 22 1/2 Fat; 7 Other Carbohydrates.