Pizza on the grill & .....

Jeffrey Gerlach <jchelem@gmail.com>
Sat, 17 Jul 2010 08:02:14 -0500
v110.n024.1
Judith,

After I roll out my dough on a floured board, I slide it on to a peel
generously (but not heavily) dusted with corn meal. Sauce and topping
are added, while occasionally gently shaking the peel to make sure
the pizza is still "loose", after which it slides easily on to the
preheated unglazed floor tiles in my grill.

Also a tip to anyone who uses a docker on their dough before applying
toppings. For years I pressed down firmly when running the docker
across the dough, basically putting holes through it. That allowed
sauce or other liquid to flow through and under the dough, resulting
in a pizza stuck to the board or peel. I realized a while back that I
really didn't need to press so hard on the docker since all I was
trying to do was to keep the dough from bubbling up on the top. So I
started running the docker over the pizza very lightly, merely
piercing the top of the dough, which has worked perfectly. No more
pizzas stuck on the peel, and no big bubbles in the finished pizza.