Holiday gifts

"Margaret Cope" <mgcope@charter.net>
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 08:38:14 -0400
v110.n041.3
For more years that I care to remember I have baked "stollen" and
given them as holiday presents.  My recipe which I have in a water
stained book .....barely legible has the following ingredients.

3 c milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
3 pkg yeast
4 eggs
1 cup of fruitcake fruit
2 cups of golden raisins, currants and silvered almonds.

I soak the fruit in rum before mixing into the dough.

I used to let it rise a couple of times and then put the balls into
coffee tins (of course they are now smaller than they were) or in
bundt pans.  After baking I glaze with confectioner's sugar
"frosting" and a few cherries and "green leaves".

The dough was baked in coffee tins at 375F.  As you see the
directions are a bit sparse after about 40 years.

Now I turn to Peter Reinhart's Stollen on page 252 in "The Bread
Baker's Apprentice" but still bake some of it in coffee tins.

Time to begin the baking!    .