Variation on no-knead

Margaret Cope <mgcope@charter.net>
Sun, 2 Oct 2011 07:23:36 -0400
v111.n039.2
Here is one of mine:

1/4 instant yeast (I use the SAF red one)
1 tbs Kosher salt
15 oz KA bread flour (regular works too - about 3 cups)
2 tbs Fennel seed
2 tbs Rosemary (I use fresh)
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup cut up dried figs (I get Orchard Choice mission figlets
available at a local Ocean State Job Lots)
1 3/4 water

Mix up.  I use a Pyrex bowl and cover.  Allow to sit for about 18
hours (give or take).  I found the bowls also at Job Lots but I think
one has to look at second hand stores for them.

Dump on to a floured Silpat if you have or otherwise well floured
towel.  Give it a few turns.  Cover with another Pyrex bowl or equivalent.

Wash the first bowl and place in cold oven.  90 minutes later heat
oven to 475 F.  30 minutes later (2 hours after starting 2nd rise)
flour the top of the mound and carefully dump the risen dough into
the heated bowl having the Pyrex cover close by.  Cover the bowl and
shut the door.  Set timer for 30 minutes.  When timer rings, open
oven and remove cover.  Shut door, set timer for another 25 minutes
and reduce the oven temperature to 425 F.

When timer rings take bowl of bread out to appropriate
surface.  Carefull edge out the baked loaf.  You will be amazed how
easily it comes out of the bowl.  Let cool on rack for at least 30 minutes.

This bread is enjoyed by all with homemade butter and cheese.  It is
great toasted with marmalade too.  The inspiration came from a rye
fig roll from KA's Baking Sheet Autumn 2010 Whole-Grain fig bread..

I have also used oil cured olives or Kalamata as well as blue cheese
as additives.  I have had less success with adding whole wheat flour,
triticale (which we grow and have milled) and rye but I shall try again.

In the words of Julia Child, "Bon Appetite!!"