the Sourdough container makes the difference

Michael Arnoldi <michaelarnoldi@gmail.com>
Fri, 17 Aug 2012 14:27:53 -0400
v112.n030.2
 From previous sourdough batches, I have dried a portion & ground it
up to powder to keep for future sourdough starters.

I started a new batch of sourdough using the above powder in a glass
container & within 3 days it started to bubble. I transferred that
batch to a larger food grade plastic container & continued to feed
for several days. I found that my lively batch stopped bubbling &
became a flat gooey mass.

I went out & purchased a glazed ceramic jar and started a new batch
with the above powder. This time the bubbles started to form within 2
days & on the 3rd day the sourdough was ready for use. The lesson
learned that the container for developing a sourdough starter has a
lot to do with the results. I am assuming that there is a chemical in
the plastic container that is detrimental to the sourdough fungus.

Conclusion: glazed ceramic / earthenware containers are best for
creating & storing sourdough

P.s. from this morning, in a period of 6 hours since I mixed water &
flour into the small residue of the ceramic jar, the new sourdough
batch is already bubbling, while at room temperature of 75 deg F

Mike Arnoldi