Re: dissolving yeast

Peter Reinhart <recipetesters@yahoo.com>
Sat, 1 Sep 2012 10:31:38 -0700 (PDT)
v112.n033.4
In answer to Margaret Cope's question, I chose to suggest dissolving
the instant yeast because, after testing it both ways, it seemed as
though the dissolved versions held up better during the long holding
periods. That said, she's right, it does work either way but it is
actually more important to dissolve it when making rich breads like
babka and sweet dough, as activating it in warm liquid seems to give
it greater resiliency to the sugars and fats that usually slowdown
and make instant yeast sluggish. It kind of makes it perform like
osmo-tolerant yeast, but I can't say that the yeast companies would
agree with me from the technical side. But from an empirical
perspective, it does seem to make a difference.

Peter Reinhart
www.pizzaquest.com (website)