Zelniky

"Ken Vaughan" <kvaughan@acsalaska.net>
Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:33:08 -0800
v112.n036.5
We are up to 3 batches now.  They needed a bit more time at the high
heat to get crisp, when rolled to a 1/4 inch thickness, and I have
used pepper blends with them.  I was able to fit a batch closely on a
single non-stick silpat sheet.  Two batches to a can of kraut.

My wife does like them with deviled ham -- and I am including the
recipe we have morphed to over many years.  The ham today is pretty
lean, so I now add margarine as ham fat is hard to come by.  I really
like the Meyers lemon marmalade in it.

Ken in Juneau

* Exported from MasterCook *

                       Deviled Ham (spread for bread)

Recipe By     :Improved from Better than Store Bought
Serving Size  : 1     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    :

   1 1/2           cups  cooked ham -- see noted below
      1/4           cup  ham fat or margarine -- diced
   1 1/2    tablespoons  coarse mustard -- see noted below
   2          teaspoons  vinegar up to 4 teaspoons to taste -- see noted below
   1              pinch  nutmeg -- fresh grated
   1              pinch  cloves -- scant
   5              drops  hot pepper sauce or a few nacho rings
      1/2      teaspoon  anchovy paste or 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
   1              pinch  ground black pepper -- big pinch
   1              pinch  ground ginger -- big pinch
   1              pinch  thyme -- big pinch
   2        tablespoons  Lemon Marmalade (meyer lemon is great)
   1         tablespoon  Penzy Fox Point shallot seasoning (Optional)

Ham:  trimmings or cubes free of gristle or membranes.  Trim fat from
ham and measure.  Picnic hams make good deviled ham.
Vinegar:  Use a well flavored vinegar.  White wine vinegar keeps the
color light, and balsamic has wonderful flavor.
Mustard:  Strong flavored or horseradish mustards give a good
flavor.  Avoid the yellow tumeric mustards.
Hot pepper sauce:  Use the favorite and add more or less to
taste.  Habaneros sauces are good, but I like to add jalapeno pepper
rings instead of pepper sauce.
Food processor makes this easy --  use a grinder if you do not have a
food processor.
Put the ham and ham fat in the food processor and pulse a few times
to coarsely chop.  Add the remainder of ingredients into the food
processor bowl and pulse until the texture is a coarse pate.  Test
the seasonings and pulse a few more times to get a finer texture if
needed.  Pack the spread in jars or tight plastic containers and
store in the refrigerator.  The flavors blend for the first day or
two.  Keeps about 2 weeks (if it lasts that long).

                                     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 392 Calories; 23g Fat (53.5%
calories from fat); 37g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 115mg Cholesterol; 2974mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch);
5 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : Great served on toast or toasted buns.  Kysra is a favorite
bread for this use.  I buy hams when on sale just to make several
batches.  Freezes well for a couple of months.  I tried canning this
mixture, but the texture changed with the canning -- not bad, but not
as good as the fresh made.

This is great on the saurkraut crackers