Cloche

Stephen Blumm <sblumm1@gmail.com>
Sun, 10 Mar 2013 13:11:34 -0400
v113.n010.1
I've used a cloche for years and have not had any problems. I bought
it from King Arthur and I follow the method described in one of Peter
Rinehart's books. At least I think it was a book by Peter Rinehart.

I pre-heat the cloche for thirty minutes at 425. I then add the bread
to the *covered* round cloche. I remove the cover after 20 minutes
and bake for about another 35-40 minutes or more depending on the
size and type of the bread.

I do not wet the cloche before baking. Nor do I nor have I ever used
oil. Lately I have been leaving the cover on the cloche for 40
minutes, removing it and continuing to bake.

I don't know the name of the manufacturer of my cloche, but the
company was in Illinois. The company was very helpful when I broke
the cover of the cloche.

I think the method I used for years is different from the one
suggested by the manufacturer.

I have found that the cloche is a useful tool, but I cannot use it
for a very large loaf. I recently made Peter Rinehart's miche
(derived from Poilane according to Rinehart) and that was too large
for the cloche. If I am correct the theory behind the cloche is that
it imitates or replicates a brick oven and retains moisture. I have
no idea if this is true, but the cloche does seem to make a nice bread.

Watch your hands when using the hot cloche - this was the warning I
got from a baking instructor at KA, and it is very good advice. Hope
this helps a little.

Stephen Blumm
Valley Forge, PA