Cleveland High School Buns - Digest bread-bakers.v113.n038

Rita Yeazel <Rita@thegourmet.mobi>
Sun, 20 Oct 2013 12:24:12 -0400
v113.n039.5
Brett, thank you for posting your Cleveland High School Buns recipe
in bread-bakers.v113.n038 (Brett_Baker).

Are you measuring 1/4 cup of MELTED lard or 1/4 cup of softened lard,
then melted?
I wonder if there might be a slight difference in weight, but
probably not enough to make a difference in this recipe.

For your records, the USDA says that the weight for lard is:

1 cup = 205 g
1/4 cup = 51 g
1 tblsp = 12.8 g
1 lb = 2.2 cups

This agrees with the nutritional label on my package of Armour lard
(shelf-stable).

Here is a formula for butter-lard substitution:

If a recipe calls for 1/2 pound of butter the lard substitution would
be 6.4 ounces (8 oz butter x .80). The additional water needed would
be 1.6 ounces (8 oz butter x .20) - From
http://www.tablefare.com/blog/2012/03/22/rendering-lard-at-home/

Rita