Cheddar Cheese Scones

Joan Ross <butterflyflour@gmail.com>
Thu, 17 Nov 2016 04:49:46 -0500
v116.n043.7
This is a wonderful cheese scone recipe a friend shared with me years ago.
It's the first to dissapear whenever I serve it.
The food processor makes it very easy to prepare.

*Cheddar Cheese Scones*

2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. sugar
1 stick cold butter cut into cubes
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup coarsley grated cheddar cheese
1 bunch diced scallions
1 egg slightly beaten

Preheat oven to 425F
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
In a food processor with metal blade add dry ingredients and process
10 seconds until well combined
Add cold butter pieces and pulse until butter is in pea size pieces
Add the cream and pulse until a shaggy dough is formed and holds
together when processed into a clump.
Turn out out to lightly floured surface.
Sprinkle with cheese and scallions on top and knead gently in while
forming a cohesive disc about 1 inch thick and 8 inches in diameter
Cut into 8 wedges
Place on baking sheet 1 inch apart
Brush tops with beaten egg
Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until firm to touch and golden brown.
Transfer to rack to cool
Serve warm or room temp
Notes:
One can substitute diced ham for the scallions
These freeze well, thaw and gently reheat in the micro