nostalgic biscuit recipe

Joan Ross <butterflyflour@gmail.com>
Sat, 3 Dec 2016 07:26:04 -0500
v116.n046.2
My elderly neighbor shared  this with me many years ago.
I never heard of the recipe until she served these to me with tea.
The sugar cubes add a sweet interesting  texture.

*Sugar Cube Biscuits*

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
dash salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 Tbs grated orange rind
3/4 cup cold milk ( skim is fine also ) or as needed
small sugar cubes
orange juice as needed ( just start with 1/4 cup, more if needed )
glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp orange juice

Sift flour, powder and salt together; cut in shortening to resemble
coasrse meal.

Add orange rind and milk.

Stir quickly and knead lightly for a few seconds, using as little
flour as possible so dough clings together

Roll dough 1/2 inch thick on a lightly floured surface and cut with a
floured cutter.

Place rounds together in pairs with a cube of sugar dipped in some
orange juice between dough

Place on greased baking sheets; brush tops with  glaze: some powdered
sugar moistened with some orange juice.

Bake at 425F - 450F for about 15 minutes or done

Note: I have also baked these as single biscuits and placed a sugar
cube pressed into the center of the dough

These are best eaten warm

Yield depends on size of biscuit cutter or whether single or stacked together.