challah recipes

Joan Ross <butterflyflour@gmail.com>
Mon, 5 Dec 2016 06:56:05 -0500
v116.n046.3
The following recipes are shared in memory of my mother Adele, who
recently passed away shortly after her 100th birthday.

She and I baked so many things together.

However, we always enjoyed trying and baking different recipes.

We often baked challah bread and here are 3 favorites, some unique
recipes, in her bread collection.

*Beet Challah*

3 cups beet juice, warmed
2 pkts active dry yeast
4 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup honey
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup melted margarine or vegetable oil
8 cups white or whole wheat flour or more as needed

Dissolve the yeast in beet juice until foamy

Mix together the eggs, salt, honey, and melted margarine

Stir into the yeast mixture

Gradually stir in enough flour of choice to make a stiff dough

Knead dough on floured surface until smooth and elastic

Place dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let rise double in a warm place

Punch down and divide dough in half

Divide each half into 3 more pieces.

Roll each piece into a 10 or 12 inch rope

Braid 3 ropes together to form your challah

Place challah on  baking sheets and let rise double in a warm place

Bake challahs in a 350F preheated oven about 30 minutes or tested done

Notes: may make one large loaf if desired

Using white flour makes for a pinker challah than the whole wheat

Nice served with cream cheese

*Mayonnaise Challah*

7 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 pkts active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup quality mayonnaise not salad dressing
4 eggs ( 3 for the bread ) 1 for the egg wash
poppy seeds if desired

Mix together 2 cups flour, sugar and yeast

Add water and beat with electric mixer for 2 minutes at low speed

Add 2 more cups flour, mayonnaise and 3 eggs.

Beat with mixer 2 minutes at medium speed.

Stir in by hand, enough more flour ( approx 3 cups ) to make a soft
kneadable dough.

Knead until smooth and elastic.

Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise double in a warm place.

Punch down dough and divide dough in half (or in 3rds for smaller loaves)

Divide each half into 3 pieces. Let rest 10 minutes.

Braid by rolling each piece into long ropes and braiding  ropes
together to form a loaf.

Place loaves on a greased baking sheet and brush with an egg wash
using the 4th egg

Sprinkle on poppy seeds if desired

Let loaves rise double and bake in a 375F oven about 30 minutes or
tested done and nicely browned.

*Potato Challah*

2 pkts active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 Tbs sugar
3 room temperature eggs
1/2 cup margarine very soft
1 cup warm potato water
1 mashed boiled white potato
1 tsp salt
4 cups flour or more as needed
1 Tbs honey
Egg wash
Poppy seeds

Dissolve yeast in the sugar and water until foamy

Beat together the eggs, margarine, mashed potato, potato water and
add to yeast mixture

Beat in 2 cups of flour and the salt until a smooth mixture

Knead until smooth and elastic,adding remaining flour by hand to form
a soft dough, adding extra flour only if needed

Place dough in an oiled bowl

Cover and let rise double in a warm place

Punch down and knead 5 minutes

Divide dough in half

Divide each half into 3 sections

Let dough rest 10 minutes

Then roll sections into ropes

Braid 3 ropes into a challah loaf

Place on baking sheets

Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired

Let rise until doubled

Bake in a preheated 375F oven about 40 minutes OR until tested done