Re: 100% Rye Bread in a Food Processor

Jeff Dwork <jeff@jeff-and-reggie.com>
Sat, 25 Mar 2017 23:18:53 -0700
v117.n012.1
BevInTX <countryone77@gmail.com> wrote:
>Is it possible to make 100% rye bread dough in a food processor?  I
>read someplace that rye dough is too sticky and could ruin a food
>processor, but I'm not sure as to whether that's right or not.  I
>tried sending a message to KitchenAid, but I didn't get any reply
>back from them.

100% rye dough doesn't require kneading - rye gluten is different
from wheat gluten and doesn't become elastic. All that is required is
to mix the dough thoroughly. The dough is stickier, so it's probably
safer to not use your food processor - do it by hand or use a stand
mixer. We've never made a 100% rye bread, so we don't have direct experience.

This is from King Arthur Flour's website:
<http://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2015/08/13/5-tips-making-rye-bread/>

>If you've never made rye bread before, you'll be surprised by the
>dough's consistency, especially if you're making a loaf that's at
>least 50% rye flour. The dough is more clay-like than elastic; this
>is fine. Don't try to "knead it into shape." It will never become as
>"supple" as a typical wheat-based dough. Even when fully kneaded, it
>probably won't form a smooth ball; you'll need to shape it into a
>ball prior to its first rise.

Look elsewhere in this digest for a 100% rye recipe that doesn't use
a starter - nearly all recipes begin with a starter.

Jeff