Southern Skillet Cornbread

Sun, 26 Aug 2018 21:42:19 -0700
v118.n032.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Cornbread, Southern Skillet

Recipe By     :South Your Mouth
Categories    : Bread                           Cast-Iron Skillet
                 Grains                          Posted
                 Side Dish                       Snacks
                 Want to try

   2        tablespoons  bacon grease -- Note *
   1                cup  cornmeal -- (not self-rising)
      1/2           cup  all-purpose flour
   1         tablespoon  baking powder
   1           teaspoon  salt
      1/2      teaspoon  baking soda
   1                cup  buttermilk -- Note: **
      1/2           cup  milk
   1                     egg -- well-beaten
      1/4           cup  vegetable oil
   1         tablespoon  sugar

Preheat oven and skillet to 450F. Remove skillet from oven and add
enough bacon grease to coat the bottom and sides of an 8-10" cast
iron skillet (or equivalent sized pan). Place the skillet with bacon
grease in the hot oven while you make your batter.

Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a
medium bowl; stir to combine.

In another bowl, combine buttermilk, milk, egg, vegetable oil and
sugar and mix well by hand. Stir in dry ingredients and mix until
just combined - don't overmix the batter, some small lumps are OK.
Batter will be thin.

Remove skillet from oven and immediately pour batter into pan. Bake
at 450F until browned around the edges (10 to 14 minutes).

Remove from oven and serve.

Note: *substitute vegetable oil for bacon grease if necessary then
ask the Lord for forgiveness for throwing away your bacon grease.

Note: **you can make a substitution for the buttermilk by adding 1
tablespoon white vinegar to a glass or plastic measuring cup then
filling to the 1-cup mark with regular milk. Let sit for at least 10
minutes. Don't use a metal vessel for this as it may react to the vinegar.

You may wonder why there's buttermilk and regular milk in this
recipe. I've often wondered how things would be if I used all
buttermilk but since this is my mama's recipe and it's absolutely
perfect to me, I've never risked changing it!

S(Internet address):
   "<https://sites.google.com/site/southyourmouth/skillet-cornbread>"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 175 Calories; 9g Fat (48.7%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
26mg Cholesterol; 476mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2018 - 0304